GAFI has been invited to give talks and slide shows at a number of events. So far the talks have taken place in UK and have been extremely well received. It is through events like these that the work of GAFI is highlighted and support for its work subsequently comes from many different sources. GAFI has increased its volunteer group, small non-government organisations in Africa have contacted us to request sets of films for their projects, bigger alliances have been formed between GAFI and international organisations and the profile of GAFI continues to rise.
Over the years GAFI has given lectures and talks at the following venues:
- Bristol Festival of Nature.” Can films about great apes, save great apes?” To a packed audience of nearly 150 people, Ian Redmond, Chief consultant for GRASP, UNEP/UNESCO Great Ape Survival Project, and Madelaine Westwood, Director of GAFI, gave a joint lecture, showing clips from a wide variety of films. With the changing nature of filmmaking and media distribution, it is possible to use, what has to be one of the most powerful communication tools we have, to change perceptions, bring information, empower new solutions and support awareness in every country which needs it.
- European Space Agency. “The use of satellite images in conservation”. Madelaine Westwood (GAFI) and Joanne Wheeler (ESA) gave a talk on how the new technology allowing us to satellite-track gorillas in uninhabited and remote regions of the world can be used not just by conservationists but can be seen by millions of people globally. We can see and not be seen, record but not disturb the endangered animals we are following.
- Filmmakers For Conservation. Great Apes Film Evening. FFC, the only conservation organisation especially for filmmakers hosted an evening for great apes and their conservation to a tv industry, conservation and public audience. The event was sponsored by @Explore in Bristol and was a standing room only occasion.
- PASA Conference- Sierra Leone, Madelaine Westwood presented on the success of using films for primate conservation
- International Primatological Society’s Workshop on Conservation Education, Juliet Wright presented the goal of the Great Apes Film Initiative (GAFI), to make wildlife television programmes about the great apes freely available to audiences in their countries of origin. GAFI’s approach to conservation education is to target three
Request a GAFI Talk
GAFI is willing to give talks and lectures whenever it is able to do so. If you are interested in having GAFI come to your organisation, educational establishment or fundraising event, please contact Madelaine Westwood on info (at) nutshellproductions.co.uk